This study will be carried out to examine the effect of motivational interviewing applied by video call on diabetes self-efficacy, diabetes self-management and metabolic control parameters (HbA1c%, BMI, fasting glucose, cholesterol, blood pressure, waist circumference) in individuals with type 2 diabetes.
Full Title of Study: “The Effect of Motivational Interviewing With Video Call on Diabetes Self-Efficacy, Diabetes Self-Management and Metabolic Control Parameters in Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes: A Randomized Controlled Study”
- Study Type: Interventional
- Study Design
- Allocation: Randomized
- Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
- Primary Purpose: Supportive Care
- Masking: Single (Participant)
- Study Primary Completion Date: April 2, 2023
- Behavioral: Motivational Interviewing with WhatsApp video call
- The individuals in the intervention group will be given a motivational interview with a WhatsApp video call for 3 months. Motivational interview will be applied every two weeks, 6 times in total.
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- Experimental: Intervention Group
- No Intervention: Control Group
- The control group received routine nursing care in the internal diseases policlinic.
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- Diabetes Self-Efficacy Scale
- Time Frame: Change from Baseline diabetes self-efficacy at 6 months
- The change in diabetes self efficacy of individuals with Type 2 diabetes at 3rd month and 6 rd month with the Diabetes Self-Efficacy Scale.
- Diabetes Self-Management Scale
- Time Frame: Change from Baseline diabetes self-management at 6 months
- This scale was used to measure the behavioral component of individuals in the IMB model. The validity and reliability study of the Turkish Diabetes Self-Management Perception Scale was conducted by Eroğlu and Sabuncu (2018). The scale consists of 16 items and 4 sub-dimensions and is a 4-point Likert type. Glucose Management sub-dimension: Items 4, 6, 10, 12 (items 4 and 12 are about drug use, items 1, 6 and 10 are about blood glucose monitoring). Diet Control sub-dimension: Items 2, 5, 9, 13. Physical Activity sub-dimension: Items 8, 11, 15. Use of Health Services sub-dimension: It consists of 3, 7, 14, and 16 items. The DMS scale consists of 16 items, 7 of which are straight and 9 of which are reversed. The scores of the items numbered “5, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16” in the scale are calculated by reversing them. Diabetes self-management increases as the score gets closer to 10.
- Time Frame: Change from Baseline HbA1c% at 6 months
- Body Mass Index
- Time Frame: Change from Baseline Body Mass Index at 6 months
- Fasting glucose
- Time Frame: Change from Baseline Fasting glucose at 6 months
- Time Frame: Change from Baseline Cholesterol at 6 months
- waist circumference
- Time Frame: Change from Baseline waist circumference at 6 months
- Blood pressure
- Time Frame: Change from Baseline blood pressure % at 6 months
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- Those between the ages of 30-64 – Receiving insulin therapy – Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at least six months ago – BMI value of 25 and above – HbA1c of 8 and above (poor control) – At least primary school graduate and can speak Turkish – No communication barrier (speech, vision or hearing problem) – Having a smart phone and internet access – Individuals who agree to participate in the research. Exclusion Criteria:
- Communication disability (speech, vision or hearing problem) – Those with neuropathy at a level that prevents them from doing their daily physical activities – Diagnosed with kidney failure (acute or chronic) – Pregnant – Those with a diagnosis of cancer
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: 30 Years
Maximum Age: 64 Years
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: No
- Lead Sponsor
- Pamukkale University
- Bakırkoy Dr. Sadi Konuk Training and Research Hospital
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Principal Investigator: EDA KILINÇ İŞLEYEN, Dr. Research Assistant – Pamukkale University
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.