The aim of this study is to develop a clinical decision support system (CDSS) that incorporates obesity management guidelines and treatment options for use by physicians and, potentially, patients based on a cardiometabolic disease staging system. This CDSS will be designed using primary care provider input through a qualitative approach to explore physician preferences for the appearance, electronic location, treatment options, referrals, accessibility and other user requirements of the CDSS.
Full Title of Study: “Cardiometabolic Disease Staging System to Improve Medical Management of Obesity and Diabetes in Primary Care Settings”
- Study Type: Observational
- Study Design
- Time Perspective: Retrospective
- Study Primary Completion Date: April 2022
To provide appropriate medical management of obesity and facilitate the diabetes risk assessments of people with excess adiposity, a comprehensive staging system that establishes five stages of cardiometabolic disease risk-the cardiometabolic disease staging system (CMDS) has been developed. This staging is based on Adult Treatment Panel III metabolic syndrome risk factors to guide decision making for selection of treatment modality and intensity in the management of obesity. Hence, we hypothesize that providing CMDS to PCPs through a CDSS for medical management of obesity can aid in reducing the barriers of obesity and diabetes treatment at the PCP-level and improve the quality of obesity and diabetes care. In this pilot and feasibility study, we will implement an early-phase CDSS in a pragmatic PCP setting to assess the uptake and acceptability of CDSS delivered to PCPs implementing CMDS at the point of care, and collect pilot data to assess change in patient engagement and satisfaction. We will conduct initial focus groups with PCPs and a series of iterative design steps targeting PCP and patient needs.These qualitative interviews would be used to determine the initial set of requirements and prototypes of the user interfaces and notifications.
- Other: Clinical decision support system
- To develop a clinical decision support system based on a published cardiometabolic disease staging system.
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- Implementation preferences
- Time Frame: Over one hour focus groups
- Preferences for implementation and development of a cardiometabolic disease staging system for a clinical decision support system as identified by clinicians during qualitative focus groups
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- Primary care physicians employed at the University of Alabama at Birmingham Exclusion Criteria:
- Physicians ≥19
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: 20 Years
Maximum Age: 90 Years
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: Accepts Healthy Volunteers
- Lead Sponsor
- University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Principal Investigator: Tapan Shirish Mehta, Associate Professor, Director of Research – University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Overall Official(s)
- Tapan S Mehta, PhD, Principal Investigator, Associate Professor
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.