Age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is the leading cause of irreversible vision loss worldwide, and nearly two million Australians have some signs of AMD. This proposed project is a prospective, observational study that seeks to to understand the underlying aetiology of AMD, factors associated with differences between age-related macular degeneration (AMD) phenotypes or severities, or between AMD and healthy individuals. It also seeks to understand the natural history of AMD progression and the factors associated with the rate of progression. In this project, the disease phenotype, genotype and severity and rate of progression will be determined based on non-invasive clinical imaging or functional assessment of the retina, from obtaining biological samples from the participants, or from patient-reported outcomes.
- Study Type: Observational
- Study Design
- Time Perspective: Prospective
- Study Primary Completion Date: November 2040
- Other: N/A Observational study
- N/A Observational study
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- Age-Related Macular Degeneration
- Participants with Age-Related Macular Degeneration
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- Investigate the underlying aetiology of Age-Related Macular Degeneration
- Time Frame: Up to 20 years
- The first aim of this project is to comprehensively investigate the underlying aetiology of AMD, characterise the AMD phenotype by understanding the differences between those with AMD and healthy individuals.
- Characterise the natural history of Age-Related Macular Degeneration and factors associated with its rate of progression.
- Time Frame: Up to 20 years
- The second aim of this project is to characterise the natural history of AMD and factors associated with its rate of progression. These aims will be achieved by using performing imaging and functional assessment of the retina, characterisation of the genetic, systemic and environmental factors, and by obtaining patient-reported outcomes.
Participating in This Clinical Trial
1. 18 years of age or older; and 2. either AMD (defined as having at least a medium druse >63 um), or having eyes with normal ageing changes (including small drusen ≤63 um) or no abnormalities as control participants Exclusion Criteria:
1. ocular or systemic conditions other than AMD that could compromise retinal assessment or assessment of AMD and its progression; or 2. any participant with any mental or physical impairment that prevents them from signing an informed consent form or participating in this study.
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: 18 Years
Maximum Age: N/A
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: Accepts Healthy Volunteers
- Lead Sponsor
- Center for Eye Research Australia
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.