Phase 1, open-label, randomized, 3-period, 3-treatment, crossover pharmacokinetic study to evaluate the steady-state pharmacokinetics of 5 mg/day and 10 mg/day Corplex™ Donepezil TDS manufactured with the commercial process compared to 10 mg Aricept® in healthy volunteers.
Full Title of Study: “A Phase 1, Open-Label, 3-Period, Randomized, Crossover Pharmacokinetic Study to Evaluate the Steady-State Pharmacokinetics of 5 mg and 10 mg Corplex™ Donepezil Transdermal Delivery Systems Compared to 10 mg Oral Administration of Aricept® in Healthy Volunteers”
- Study Type: Interventional
- Study Design
- Allocation: Randomized
- Intervention Model: Crossover Assignment
- Primary Purpose: Other
- Masking: None (Open Label)
- Study Primary Completion Date: April 5, 2021
Screening Period: Subjects will undergo a Screening Period up to 28 days prior to entering the Treatment Phase. Treatment Phase consisting of 3 Treatment periods with 3 Treatments A, B, C. Treatment Period 1: All Subjects will receive Treatment A; 5 mg/day Donepezil Transdermal Delivery System (TDS); 1-week wear and applied for 5 consecutive weeks. Treatment Periods 2 and 3: Subjects will be randomized (by gender) to receive either sequences of Treatments B-C or Treatments C-B. Treatment B: 10 mg/day Donepezil TDS 1-week wear and applied weekly for 5 consecutive weeks Treatment C: 10 mg/day Aricept® donepezil tablet administered daily (QD) for 5 weeks. Blood samples for pharmacokinetics and safety assessments will be collected during the Treatment Phase.
- Combination Product: Donepezil TDS
- Transdermal Delivery System
- Drug: Aricept
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- Experimental: Treatment A
- 5 mg/day Donepezil Transdermal Delivery System (TDS) 1-week wear and applied weekly for 5 consecutive weeks
- Experimental: Treatment B
- 10 mg/day Donepezil TDS 1-week wear and applied weekly for 5 consecutive weeks
- Active Comparator: Treatment C
- 10 mg/day Aricept® donepezil tablet administered QD for 5 consecutive weeks
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- Steady State Bioequivalence of 10 mg/day donepezil
- Time Frame: 35 days of Treatment of each comparator
- To evaluate steady-state donepezil plasma exposure following once-weekly treatments with 10 mg/day Corplex™ Donepezil TDS compared to once-daily oral administration of 10 mg Aricept®
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- Healthy males and females. – Subject's Body Mass Index (BMI) must be between 18 and 32 kg/m2 (inclusive). – Subject must be continuous non-smokers. – Subject must have a Fitzpatrick skin type of I, II or III. Exclusion Criteria:
- History or presence of clinically significant cardiovascular, pulmonary, hepatic, renal, hematologic, gastrointestinal, endocrine, immunologic, dermatologic, neurologic, oncologic, or psychiatric disease or any other condition that, in the opinion of the Investigator, would jeopardize the safety of the subject or the validity of the study results. – After resting seated for at least 3 minutes, subjects should be excluded from the study with the following vital signs at Screening 1. systolic blood pressure outside the range of 90-145 mmHg, or 2. diastolic blood pressure outside the range of 50-90 mmHg, or 3. resting heart rate outside the range of 40-100 beats per minute. – Has an isolated ALT ≥1.5x the ULN or AST ≥1.5x the ULN at Screening; or both ALT and AST exceeding the ULN. – Estimated creatinine clearance at screening <70 mL/min/1.73 m2. – Prolonged corrected QTcF on screening ECG (≥450 ms for both females and males). – History or presence of excessive hairy skin on application sites as deemed by the Investigator to potentially interfere with patch adhesion or drug absorption. – History or presence of significant skin damage, diffuse skin diseases-, scars, tattoos on the application sites or other skin disturbances as deemed by the Investigator to potentially interfere with drug absorption or skin tolerability assessments – Use of donepezil hydrochloride or related drugs within 60 days prior to the first study drug administration. – Has participated in another clinical trial within 30 days prior to Day -1.
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: 18 Years
Maximum Age: 55 Years
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: Accepts Healthy Volunteers
- Lead Sponsor
- Corium, Inc.
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Overall Official(s)
- Robert Bass, MD, Principal Investigator, Worldwide Clinical Trials
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.