The combination of methotrexate (MTX) with a biological disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (bDMARD) is the next step in treatment with MTX monotherapy in rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Estimation of MTX and bDMARD impregnation could be performed with the erythrocyte MTX polyglutamate (MTX-PG) and bDMARD assays before to move to a second bDMARD. In RA patients treated with MTX (prescribed for at least 6 months at a stable dose for at least 3 months) in combination to a first bDMARD (prescribed since at least 3 months), an assay of MTX-PG and bDMARD will be performed in tow subsets of RA according to the level of disease activity. The first subset is active RA defined by a DAS28 (disease activity score 28)>3.2. The second one is RA in clinical remission defined by a DAS28<2.6. The main hypothesis is the association between the low concentration of MTX-PG and the clinical response of RA patients treated with subcutaneous methotrexate injection associated to a first bDMARD. Adherence to MTX will be reviewed by the Compliance Questionnaire Rheumatology (CQR) questionnaire. This assay could be useful to improve MTX management before to move to a second bDMARD.
- Study Type: Interventional
- Study Design
- Allocation: Non-Randomized
- Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
- Primary Purpose: Treatment
- Masking: None (Open Label)
- Study Primary Completion Date: January 2022
- Biological: Blood sample
- Blood samples will be collected for measuring PG-MTX blood concentration.
- Diagnostic Test: CRQ
- Compliance Rheumatology Questionnaire (CQR) is a self-administered questionnaire for to evaluate therapeutic observance during rheumatoid arthritis.
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- Experimental: Patients with active rheumatoid arthritis
- 30 patients with active rheumatoid arthritis will be included. They will have a blood sample and Compliance Rheumatology Questionnaire (CRQ).
- Experimental: Patients with rheumatoid arthritis into remission
- 30 patients with rheumatoid arthritis into remission will be included. They will have a blood sample and Compliance Rheumatology Questionnaire (CRQ).
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- MTX-PG concentration
- Time Frame: Hour 1
- To compare MTX-PG concentration in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis and patients with rheumatoid arthritis in remission
- metabolites dosing of MTX-PG (nmol/l)
- Time Frame: Hour 1
- Analysis of different metabolites dosing of MTX-PG by High-performance liquid chromatography technical
- Analysis of CQR score response
- Time Frame: Hour 1
- Compliance Rheumatology Questionnaire (CRQ) is a 19-item self-administered questionnaire to measure overall patient compliance for both MTX and bDMARD treatment with 0 (bad compliance) and 100 (better compliance).
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- Age > 18 years and have social security affiliation. – Patients followed in the Rheumatology Department at the hospital of St Etienne. – Rheumatoid Arthritis patients in remission (Disease Activity Score 28<2.6) with methotrexate (MTX) treatment for at least 6months, and with a stable dose for 3months. – Patients with a High Disease Activity Rheumatoid Arthritis activity (Disease Activity Score 28>3.2) with methotrexate (MTX) treatment (≥ 15 mg/week), taking MTX treatment for at least 6months with a stable subcutaneous weekly MTX injection (≥ 15 mg/week) treatment during the previous 3 months. – Signed informed consent. Exclusion Criteria:
- Patients treated with another conventional synthetic Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drugs (csDMARD) – Another diagnostic than rheumatoid arthritis
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: 18 Years
Maximum Age: N/A
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: No
- Lead Sponsor
- Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Saint Etienne
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Overall Official(s)
- Hubert MAROTTE, MD PhD, Principal Investigator, CHU SAINT-ETIENNE
- Overall Contact(s)
- Hubert MAROTTE, MD PhD, (0)477127643, email@example.com
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.