The aim of this study was to evaluate the survival rate and healing time of compromised teeth and seriously compromised teeth that were endodontically treated in patients which received bisphosphonate therapy . Clinical complications, success and survival rate was reported. Mean clinical parameters, clinical symptoms and presence of periapical radilucency were recorded.
Full Title of Study: “Root Canal Treatment of Compromised Teeth as Alternative Treatment in Patients Under Bisphosphonate Therapy: 60-month Results of a Prospective Clinical Study”
- Study Type: Observational
- Study Design
- Time Perspective: Prospective
- Study Primary Completion Date: December 15, 2016
The study was conducted in one University Endodontic Clinical Department – Dental School between January 2009 and December 2017. Root canal treatment was performed according previously reported operative protocols.
- Procedure: Root canal treatment
- Root canal treatment using a standard manual k file instrumentation and carrier-based root canal filling technique
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- BPS group
- patients under Bisphosphonate therapy for at least 24 months
- healthy patients
- healthy patients not assuming with no previous Bisphosphonate assumption
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- health patients
- Time Frame: 5 years
- assessment of periapical index (PAI)
- Time Frame: 5 years
- extraction periapical re exacerbation during before the endline ( 5 years)
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- Patients affected by endodontic disease and able to attend a hygiene recall program Exclusion Criteria:
- inability to attend a recall hygien program
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: 40 Years
Maximum Age: 85 Years
- Lead Sponsor
- University of Bologna
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Principal Investigator: Fausto Zamparini, DDS,MS,PhD – University of Bologna
Citations Reporting on Results
Pirani C, Chersoni S, Montebugnoli L, Prati C. Long-term outcome of non-surgical root canal treatment: a retrospective analysis. Odontology. 2015 May;103(2):185-93. doi: 10.1007/s10266-014-0159-0. Epub 2014 Jun 8.
Prati C, Pirani C, Zamparini F, Gatto MR, Gandolfi MG. A 20-year historical prospective cohort study of root canal treatments. A Multilevel analysis. Int Endod J. 2018 Sep;51(9):955-968. doi: 10.1111/iej.12908. Epub 2018 Mar 7.
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.