Purpose: To establish of the national Inherited Retinal Dystrophy Registry (IRDR) in Iran. Methods: This study is a community-based participatory research that is approved by the Ministry of Health and Medical Education of Iran in 2016. To provide the minimum data set (MDS), several focus group meetings will be held with participation of the faculty members of the Ophthalmic Research Center affiliated to Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences (SBMU). Final MDS will be presented to the software engineering team to develop a web-based software. In the pilot phase, software will be set up in two referral centers including Labbafinejad Medical Center (Tehran) and Alzahra Eye Hospital (Zahedan) to discover the possible drawbacks. Final diagnosis will be made based on both clinical manifestations as well as genetic findings.The steering committee meetings are planned to be held each year with the presence of delegates of all centers.
- Study Type: Observational [Patient Registry]
- Study Design
- Time Perspective: Prospective
- Study Primary Completion Date: November 1, 2019
- Diagnostic Test: Visual Acuity Testing and Retinal Imaging
- All clinical and para- clinical tests including visual acuity assessment, perimetry, optical coherence tomography (OCT), enhanced depth- OCT, OCT angiography, color fundus, autofluorescence and infrared fundus photography will be performed
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- Patients with Inherited Retinal Dystrophy
- known patients with a diagnosis of inherited retinal dystrophy (IRD) will be recruited to identify the type of IRD diagnosis. The comprehensive ophthalmic examinations and retinal imaging will be performed. Additionally, blood sample of all participants and their family members will be kept in our bio- bank for genetic testing.
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- prevalence and incidence of the different types of inherited retinal dystrophy in different regions of Iran.
- Time Frame: 4 years
- The present study is designed to determine the prevalence and incidence of IRD diagnoses in different regions of Iran based on the crude data which will be registered in the Iranian IRD registry.
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- Patients with a definite diagnosis of IRD diagnoses based on clinical examinations and genetic testing. Exclusion Criteria:
- Individuals who have a suspected diagnosis of IRD disease
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: N/A
Maximum Age: N/A
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: Accepts Healthy Volunteers
- Lead Sponsor
- Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Principal Investigator: Zahra Rabbani Khah, Head of department – Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.