In foreign countries, mobile x-ray already is being used where transfer to the radiology department at the hospital may be an obstacle. Using mobile x-ray, the x-ray examination is performed in the patients own home with transportable equipment that reminds of the transportable x-ray equipment that is being used in the intensive care units. At The Department of Radiology (DOR), Aarhus University Hospital there is an ongoing project mobile x-ray for patients living in nursing homes in Aarhus. The project will be evaluated inspired by the Triple Aim Approach in three sub studies.
The overall aim is to conclude if mobile x-ray improves healthcare for fragile patients.
- Patients examined with mobile x-ray have fewer number of hospital admissions compared with patients examined with x-ray at DOR.
- Patients examined with mobile x-ray are more satisfied with their examination compared with patients examined with x-ray at DOR.
Sub study 1 – Population health
The primary aim is to study if mobile x-ray improves the health of the defined population measured in hospital admission. Also to study challenges conducting a RCT.
The outcome measures:
The primary outcome is hospital admissions.
Sub study 2 – Experience of care
The aim is to study the satisfaction with mobile x-ray compared the satisfaction to x-ray at DOR.
Observations, interview and questionnaires.
- Study Type: Observational
- Study Design
- Time Perspective: Prospective
- Study Primary Completion Date: April 17, 2019
- Procedure: Mobile X-ray
- Evaluating the effect of mobile x-ray compared to x-ray at the Hospital
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- Mobile X-ray
- X-ray examination in the patients own home
- X-ray at the Hospital
- X-ray at the University Hospital in The Department of Radiology
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- Hospital admissions
- Time Frame: one year
- How many patients are hospitalized
- patient satisfaction
- Time Frame: one year
- Measuring satisfaction using questionnaires
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- patients referred to a mobile X-ray examination in Aarhus Municipality
- all other patients referred to an x-ray examination
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: N/A
Maximum Age: N/A
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: No
- Lead Sponsor
- University of Aarhus
- Aarhus University Hospital
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Overall Official(s)
- Helene Nørrelund, Decan, Principal Investigator, University of Aarhus
Citations Reporting on Results
Vigeland E, Bøhm RE, Rostad A, Lysdahl KB. Mobile X-ray service for nursing homes. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen. 2017 Feb 7;137(3):198-202. doi: 10.4045/tidsskr.16.0035. eCollection 2017 Feb. English, Norwegian.
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.