This study is designed to evaluate the frequency and presentations of chronic persistent pain in patients after breast cancer surgery at our tertiary care hospital. Results of this study will help us to understand the magnitude of problem in our population and making institutional guidelines for appropriate management of such patients.
- Study Type: Observational
- Study Design
- Time Perspective: Prospective
- Study Primary Completion Date: July 15, 2017
After approval from the Departmental Research Committee and Institutional Ethical Review Committee all adult female patients with known carcinoma of breast who are scheduled for elective definitive breast cancer surgery (Mastectomy) from 1st July 2016 to 30th December 2016 will be enrolled in this audit. Inclusion of patients will be done once operative procedure is finalized and consent taken in breast clinic. Those patients who did not give consent and those patients who need reoperation on same side for recurrence of cancer or any reason will be excluded from this study.
Data will be obtained from patient's medical record, interview of patient on follow up visit at breast clinic and telephonic communication with patient. Variables have been defined and a special form has been designed for data collection. All patients will be followed for next three months and those who have persistent pain will be followed for six months after operation.
Follow up information will be obtained from patient visiting breast clinic. For any missing data patient's medical records will be reviewed and patient will be contacted to know if they have chronic post-surgical pain or not. Audit forms will be filled by authors according to their availability. The primary investigator or author at breast clinic will keep all forms for safe record keeping which shall later be used for data analysis.
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- To determine the frequency of persistent pain in patients after breast cancer surgery
- Time Frame: 3 to 6 months
- After breast cancer surgery, patients were followed for next 3 months and those patients who developed persistent pain were followed for up to 6 months via pre designed questionnaire
- To observe the distribution and characteristics of pain in these patients.
- Time Frame: 3 to 6 months
- After breast cancer surgery, patients were followed to observe the distribution and characteristics of pain on pre-designed questionnaire
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- all adult female patients with known carcinoma of breast who are scheduled for elective definitive breast cancer surgery (Mastectomy)
- Those patients who did not give consent and those patients who need reoperation on same side for recurrence of cancer or any reason will be excluded from this study.
Gender Eligibility: Female
All female patient with breast cancer
Minimum Age: 30 Years
Maximum Age: 75 Years
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: No
- Lead Sponsor
- Ali Sarfraz Siddiqui
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Sponsor-Investigator: Ali Sarfraz Siddiqui, Assistant Professor – Aga Khan University
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.