This clinical Trial will assess the effects of a dietary supplement based on Tribulus terrestris on the libido and sexual function in postmenopausal women, by doing a follow up of the FSFI scale and different variables during 3 months period. Participants will be allocated to dietary supplement or placebo, and will attend to 3 visits (baseline, 6 weeks, 12 weeks and at 24 weeks optional).
Full Title of Study: “Multicentre, Randomised, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled, Parallel-group Clinical Trial to Investigate the Effectiveness of a Dietary Supplement in Increasing Libido and Sexual Function in Postmenopausal Women.”
- Study Type: Interventional
- Study Design
- Allocation: Randomized
- Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
- Primary Purpose: Treatment
- Masking: Double (Participant, Investigator)
- Study Primary Completion Date: August 29, 2019
- Dietary Supplement: Tribulus Terrestris
- The experimental arm will receive a dietary supplement to increase the libido and sexual function
- Other: Placebo treatment
- The control arm will receive a placebo product with similar organoleptic qualities and the same posology characteristics
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- Experimental: Active group
- One tablet per day in the morning through oral administration of a dietary supplement containing Tribulus terrestris as the main active ingredient. During three months with the possibility to extend for another three months.
- Placebo Comparator: Control group
- One tablet per day in the morning through oral administration of Placebo. During three months.
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- Changes of Score on the Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI)
- Time Frame: At baseline, at 6 weeks, at 3 months and at 6 months (optional)
- Score on the Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI) Questionnaire on female libido. The scale has 19 questions divided in 6 Domains. Total score ranges from 2 to 36 with higher scores considered better outcome. Scale subdomains, their scoring range and factor to the total score is the following: Domain: Desire, Range [1 - 5] Factor: 0.6 Domain: Arousal, Range [0 - 5] Factor: 0.3 Domain: Lubrication, Range 0 – 5 Factor: 0.3 Domain: Orgasm Range 0 – 5 Factor: 0.4 Domain: Satisfaction Range [0 (or 1) - 5 ] Factor: 0.4 Domain: Pain Range [0-5] Factor: 0.4
- Variations in testosterone levels (total, bioavailable, and free)
- Time Frame: Change from baseline to 3 months visit
- Testosterone levels (total, bioavailable and free) in blood
- Change in quality of life (QoL) – Measured with Score on the Cervantes Scale.
- Time Frame: Change from baseline, to 3 months and optional visit at 6 months
- Score on the Cervantes Scale on quality of life. The scale is composed of 31 questions divided in 4 domains. Each question is punctuated from 0 to 5. And total scale result ranges from 0 to 155, where 0 corresponds to the maximun QoL value and 155 worst value.
- Number of adverse events
- Time Frame: Thought the study, an average of 10 months.
- Number of adverse events (recorded in the investigator’s CRF) to assess the tolerability/safety of the product
- Compliance with treatment – Measured with the Morisky-Green scale
- Time Frame: 3 months
- The Morisky-Green scale measures treatment adherence with four yes or no questions. In which yes punctuates 0 and no punctuates 1. Possible result values for the scale goes from 0 to 4 with 4 being a better outcome than 0.
- Compliance with treatment – Recount of refounded product by patient.
- Time Frame: 3 months
- Recount of product returned at the end of study
- Compliance with treatment -Therapeutic adherence
- Time Frame: 3 months
- Data will be collected by the investigator at participants visit with a unique question about percentage of intake. It will be considered a good compliance if 80% of the medication has been taken.
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- Women who report decreased libido and present female sexual arousal disorder according to Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V) criteria
- Age between 45 and 65 years.
- Sexually active.
- Agreement to participate and to sign the informed consent documents.
- Women who are on hormone replacement therapy or who need to start it.
- Cancer treatment or a recent history of cancer (<2 years).
- Any of the following treatments: serotonin inhibitors, GABAergics, tricyclics, antipsychotics, beta-blockers, thiazide diuretics, dopaminergics and anxiolytics for chronic problems (patients on treatment with anxiolytics without chronic problems are eligible)
- Treatment for, or a history of, oestrogen-dependent cancer (breast, uterus, endometrium, etc.).
- Any comorbidity that may interfere with the pathology under study.
Gender Eligibility: Female
Minimum Age: 45 Years
Maximum Age: 65 Years
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: No
- Lead Sponsor
- Kern Pharma, S.L.
- Analysis and Research Network, S.L
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.