Although Parkinson Disease's (PD) is usually associated with an older patient population, 5% of patients are diagnosed at age 50 and 30% before 65 years of age. This shows that many patients with PD have diagnosed during the active study and have long periods of normal retirement. After the diagnosis of Parkinson's patients, the duration of leaving of employment vary between 0 and 25 years. It was found that patients' full-time working capacity decreased by up to 80% and they quitted earlier than the general population. The disability associated with PD is thought to be a factor in this situation. Nevertheless, the reasons for early retirement are not fully known and more information is needed on the specific problems of PD in order for patients to continue their career. The aim of our study is to examine the impact of Parkinson's disease on retirement and to contribute to Turkey's data. Patients with PD admitted to the Parkinson's disease outpatient clinic, which is the biggest clinic of Turkey about neurology, are included in the study. It is planned to meet with 75 patients on 31/12/2018 and to reach the end of the data collection phase.
Full Title of Study: “Examining Parkinson’s Disease-Related Retirement: Results of Turkey”
- Study Type: Observational
- Study Design
- Time Perspective: Retrospective
- Study Primary Completion Date: December 31, 2018
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- Qualitative interview
- Time Frame: The researcher interviewed for about half an hour at once time with each participant.
- The researcher conducted interviews to find out about things that could not be directly observed. Interviews have been done face to face and used to collect personal experiences about Parkinson Disease and work life.
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- To be between 30-85 aged
- Parkinson Disease diagnosis according to the United Kingdom Brain Bank criteria
- To be treated with antiparkinson
- Severe cognitive impairment
- Not willing to participate in the study
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: 30 Years
Maximum Age: 85 Years
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: No
- Lead Sponsor
- Istanbul Kültür University
- Marmara University
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Principal Investigator: Gamze Ertürk, Research assistant – Istanbul Kültür University
- Overall Official(s)
- Gamze Ertürk, GRAD ASST, Study Chair, Istanbul Kültür University
- Semra Oğuz, ASST PROF, Study Director, Marmara University
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.