A randomised, controlled, double-blind trial to evaluate the tolerance and safety of a new partly fermented anti-regurgitation infant formula containing prebiotics and locust bean gum in infants with regurgitation.
Full Title of Study: “A Randomised, Controlled, Double Blind Trial to Evaluate the Tolerance and Safety of a New Partly Fermented Anti-regurgitation Infant Formula Containing Prebiotics and Locust Bean Gum in Infants With Regurgitation.”
- Study Type: Interventional
- Study Design
- Allocation: Randomized
- Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
- Primary Purpose: Treatment
- Masking: Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)
- Study Primary Completion Date: September 6, 2019
- Other: Anti-regurgitation infant formula
- Anti regurgitation infant formula
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- Active Comparator: Fermented IF + LBG + Gos Fos
- Fermented infant formula with Locust bean gum and Gos Fos
- Placebo Comparator: Fermented IF +LBG
- Fermented infant formula with Locust bean gum
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- GI tolerance
- Time Frame: 4 weeks
- To assess the gastrointestinal (GI) tolerance of the investigational product compared to the control product based on Infant Gastrointestinal Symptom Questionnaire(IGSQ) symptoms score containg 13 questions on a 7 point scale
Participating in This Clinical Trial
1. Singleton healthy term infant aged 3 – 13 weeks;
2. Gestational age at birth 37- 42 weeks;
3. Normal birth weight for gestational age and gender i.e. 10th to 90th percentile compared to the WHO or local growth charts;
4. Infants with regurgitation that are otherwise healthy, based upon the following criteria: 1) Regurgitation of 2 or more times per day for 1 or more weeks according to reported history, 2) an indication for the use of AR formula according to the investigator at screening/randomisation.
5. Fully formula fed for at least 7 days before screening/randomisation;
6. Written informed consent from the parent(s) and/or legally acceptable representative(s), aged ≥ 18 years.
- 1. History of retching, hematemesis, aspiration, apnoea, failure to thrive, feeding or swallowing difficulties or abnormal posturing; 2. Gastrointestinal infection within 4 weeks prior to randomisation; 3. Congenital condition and/or previous or current illness and (or) medication use that could interfere with the main study outcomes according to the investigator; 4. Known cow's milk protein allergy, lactose intolerance, or galactosaemia including history of any other allergic manifestations or known allergy to any of the study product ingredients (especially scGOS); 5. Presence of any other gastrointestinal symptom(s)/disorder(s) that are not functional in nature, as assessed by the investigator's clinical judgement; 6. Received any of the following products/medication prior to randomisation: systemic antibiotics, prokinetics, proton pump inhibitors, complementary feeding/weaning within 4 weeks prior to randomisation; 7. Incapability of the parent(s) to comply with the study protocol or investigator's uncertainty about the willingness or ability of the parent(s) to comply with the protocol requirements; 8. Current participation in another clinical intervention study.
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: N/A
Maximum Age: 13 Weeks
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: Accepts Healthy Volunteers
- Lead Sponsor
- Nutricia Research
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.