This is a Phase II/III trial with two groups of adults successfully cured of category 1 pulmonary TB receiving either VPM1002 or placebo. Single dose of VPM1002 / placebo will be administered to calculate efficacy of the vaccine against TB recurrence.
Full Title of Study: “A Multicenter Phase II/III Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo Controlled Study To Evaluate The Efficacy And Safety Of VPM1002 In The Prevention Of Tuberculosis (TB) Recurrence In Pulmonary TB Patients After Successful TB Treatment”
- Study Type: Interventional
- Study Design
- Allocation: Randomized
- Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
- Primary Purpose: Prevention
- Masking: Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)
- Study Primary Completion Date: February 1, 2022
The study is designed as a multicenter, double-blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled trial with two groups of category 1 pulmonary TB patients who have successfully completed ATT and declared cured by bacteriological confirmation. The eligible participants will be randomized in 1:1 ratio to receive single dose of either VPM1002 or placebo. After study vaccination, participants will be followed up for one year. Any suspected TB case during follow up will be further evaluated and bacteriologically confirmed. Study participants will be actively followed up for 2 months post-vaccination for any solicited local and regional reaction. SAEs will be recorded and reported throughout study participation.
- Biological: VPM1002 (Recombinant BCG Vaccine)
- VPM1002 is a formulated, lyophilized cake of live recombinant Mycobacterium bovis rBCGÄureC::Hly+; VPM1002. VPM1002 is the active pharmaceutical ingredient. It is a genetically modified BCG vaccine derived from the Mycobacterium bovis BCG subtype Prague characterized as rBCGÄureC::Hly+. Single dose of VPM1002 is administered intradermally.
- Other: Placebo
- Single dose of Placebo is administered intradermally.
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- Experimental: VPM1002 (Recombinant BCG vaccine)
- Placebo Comparator: Placebo
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- Percentage of bacteriologically confirmed TB recurrence cases
- Time Frame: 2-12 months post-vaccination
- Percentage of TB recurrence patients who have previously been successfully treated for TB, were declared cure and are now diagnosed with a new episode of bacteriologically confirmed recurrent TB after at least 2 months from vaccination.
- Percentage of overall TB recurrence (i.e. either bacteriologically confirmed or clinically diagnosed TB recurrence)
- Time Frame: 2-12 months post-vaccination
- Percentage of TB recurrence patients who have previously been successfully treated by for TB, were declared cure and are now diagnosed with a new episode of either bacteriologically confirmed or clinically diagnosed recurrent TB after at least 2 months from vaccination.
- Safety assessed by Solicited local and regional reactogenicity and Unsolicited adverse events and SAEs
- Time Frame: Throughout study participation i.e.12 months post-vaccination
- Solicited local and regional reactogenicity events within 2 months following study vaccination Unsolicited adverse events and SAEs throughout the study period
Participating in This Clinical Trial
1. Males or females aged ≥18 and ≤65 years. 2. Bacteriologically confirmed Category I pulmonary TB patients (including controlled diabetics with HbA1c level ≤7% and non-diabetics) who successfully completed ATT as per national guidelines. 3. Must have a sputum sample showing bacteriologic confirmation of cure – defined as smear negative. 4. Female participants who are currently using reliable methods of birth control, have a negative pregnancy test during screening and have no intention to become pregnant for at least 3 months post-vaccination. 5. Participant must intend to remain in the area during the study period. Exclusion Criteria:
1. Reactive serology for HIV 2. History of extrapulmonary TB 3. Known or suspected impairment of immunological function 4. Pregnant and / or lactating female participants
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: 18 Years
Maximum Age: 65 Years
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: Accepts Healthy Volunteers
- Lead Sponsor
- Serum Institute of India Pvt. Ltd.
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Overall Contact(s)
- Dr Prasad Kulkarni, MD, +91-20-26602384, firstname.lastname@example.org
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.