- The primary aim is to document the incidence and short-term outcome of the elderly ICU patient (≥ 80 years) using a multicentre, multi national approach
- The secondary aim is to investigate the properties of a simple frailty index in this cohort, and in particular if this is an instrument that can be used in resource and outcome prediction in this group
- To create hypothesis for further studies, in particular on various outcome prediction
- Study Type: Observational
- Study Design
- Time Perspective: Prospective
- Study Primary Completion Date: June 15, 2017
The investigators have chosen to use a prospective registration of routinely collected data in this ICU population. The study is mainly European based, but will also allow for ICUs outside Europe to participate.
20 consecutive ICU admission in patients ≥ 80 years of age will be collected OR all patients ≥ 80 years in a three months' period (whatever comes first).
Data are collected electronically through an e-CRF and with baseline documentation of the ICU. The database is located in Denmark, at the Department of Epidemiology, University of Aarhus (http://vip1study.com/) . Each ICU will only have access through the database of their own patients, and patient ID is not registered (Names, birth-date or social security numbers) so it is in that sense anonymous.
Even with de-identified data, most countries must seek necessary consent from the authorities to collect such data, and hence there will be a period between ICU recruitment (starting April 2016) and patient recruitment (October 1. 2016) to allow for this to be done prior to study start.
The goal is to recruit at least 100 ICUs which will give data from approximately 2000 elderly patients.
- Other: Observation prospective
- No intervention
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- Admission of elderly ICU patients (≥80)
- All consecutibve admission in 3 month period or 20 pateints
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- Time Frame: 30 days
- ICU and 30 days
- Time Frame: Pre admission
- Clinical Frailty Scale
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- All admissions in the group
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: 80 Years
Maximum Age: N/A
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: No
- Lead Sponsor
- University of Bergen
- European Society of Intensive Care Medicine
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Principal Investigator: Hans Flaatten, Professor and senior ICU consultant – University of Bergen
- Overall Official(s)
- Hans Flaatten, Prof, Principal Investigator, University of bergen; ESICM
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.