Controlled release Carbamazepine (CBZ) is a antiepileptic, antineuralgic and mood stabilizer drug. The CR formulation of CBZ is slowly absorbed and the elimination half life varies with time due to metabolism autoinduction. The primary objective of this study is to estimate the bioequivalence of the new brand generic product (Auration(R) CR) 400 mg manufactured in Uruguay vs. the innovative product (Tegretol(R) CR) 400 mg manufactured in Brasil, under fed conditions. The secondary objective will be evaluation of safety issues. The study design will be randomized two sequences, two periods and crossover. For a power of not less than 80% sample size was estimated to be 20 healthy male subjects. Products will be administered with food (high calories/high fat breakfast) after an overnight fast. Time vs. concentration curves will be built for each subject and formulation and Area Under Curve (AUC0240) will be estimated using the trapezoid rule, the AUC 0-inf. (from time 0 to infinity) will be estimated using the formula Cz/Ke, Cmax will be taken from the individual curves. This parameters will be statistically processed with the WinNonlin 6.3 Pharmacokinetics/Statistic software in order to prove bioequivalence between the study products.
Full Title of Study: “Fed Bioequivalence Study of Carbamazepine Controlled Release Formulations in Healthy Male Uruguayan Subjects”
- Study Type: Interventional
- Study Design
- Allocation: Randomized
- Intervention Model: Crossover Assignment
- Masking: Single (Investigator)
- Study Primary Completion Date: June 2014
- Drug: Auration CR Tablets 400 Single Dose-Tegretol CR 400 Single Dose
- Carbamazepine CR Tablets 400 milligrams is given orally with 250 mL of water at room temperature.
- Drug: Tegretol CR 400 Single Dose-Auration CR 400 Single Dose
- Auration CR 400 milligrams Single Dose is given orally with 250 mL of water at room temperature.
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- Other: TR (Test – Reference)
- Sequence : Auration CR 400 Single Dose/Tegretol CR 400 Single Dose
- Other: RT (Reference – Test)
- Sequence: Tegretol CR 400 Single Dose/Auration CR 400 Single Dose
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- Time Frame: 10 days
- Area Under the CBZ Concentration vs. time curve from sample time point 0 hour to sample time point 240 hour.
- Time Frame: 0 to 240 hours
- Area Under the CBZ Concentrations vs, time curve from sample time point 0 hour to sample time point 240 hours plus extrapolation to infinity of the terminal concentration slope.
- Time Frame: 12 to 48 hours
- The maximum concentration in the CBZ concentrations vs. time curves for each subject and each formulation.
- Time Frame: 31 days
- Recording of all adverse events (AE) occurring during the study: expected, unexpected and serious (SAE) from tree different sources. The AEs may be clinical occurrences, abnormal labs or ECG alterations.
Participating in This Clinical Trial
Gender Eligibility: Male
Minimum Age: 18 Years
Maximum Age: 50 Years
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: Accepts Healthy Volunteers
- Lead Sponsor
- Center for Clinical Pharmacology Research Bdbeq S.A.
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Principal Investigator: Francisco E. Estevez-Carrizo, M.D., Chief Medical Officer – Center for Clinical Pharmacology Research Bdbeq S.A.
- Overall Official(s)
- Francisco E. Estevez-Carrizo, M.D., Study Director, Center for Clinical Pharmacology Research Bdbeq S.A.
- Francisco T. Estevez-Parrillo, M.D., Principal Investigator, Center for Clinical Pharmacology Research Bdbeq S.A.
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.