This study evaluated the safety and efficacy of once and twice daily TD-4208 and placebo when administered using a jet nebulizer for 7 days in a cross-over design to patients with moderate to severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Full Title of Study: “A Phase 2, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Cross-Over Study of QD and BID Nebulized TD-4208 in Subjects With Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease”
- Study Type: Interventional
- Study Design
- Allocation: Randomized
- Intervention Model: Crossover Assignment
- Primary Purpose: Treatment
- Masking: Triple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator)
- Study Primary Completion Date: September 2014
- Drug: TD-4208
- Drug: Placebo
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- Experimental: TD-4208 44 mcg twice daily
- TD-4208 inhalation solution 44 mcg twice daily for 7 days
- Placebo Comparator: Placebo
- Placebo inhalation solution twice daily for 7 days
- Experimental: TD-4208 175 mcg once daily
- TD-4208 inhalation solution 175 mcg once daily, placebo once daily
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- Weighted Mean (0-24hr) Change From Baseline FEV1 (Forced Expiratory Volume in 1 Second)
- Time Frame: Following the Day 7 AM dose -12 hours post-dose and 24 hours post-dose
- Weighted mean (0-24hr) Change from baseline FEV1 (forced expiratory volume in 1 second). Measurement is change from baseline.
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- Subject must have a negative pregnancy test, and must be prepared to use effective contraception if of child-bearing potential
- Subject is capable of performing reproducible spirometry maneuvers
- Subject has post-bronchodilator FEV1/FVC (forced expiratory volume in 1 second/forced vital capacity) ratio <0.7
- Subject has moderate-to-severe stable COPD (Stage 2 or 3 according to the Global Initiative for the Treatment of Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) Guidelines)
- Subject has a post-bronchodilator FEV1 greater than or equal to 30% and less than 80% of predicted normal
- Subject demonstrates a post-ipratropium FEV1 response ≥ 12% and ≥ 200 mL of pre-ipratropium FEV1 response
- Subject has a current or past smoking history of at least 10 pack-years.
- Subject has a significant respiratory disease or disorder other than COPD that would affect the interpretation of data from this study
- Subject has a history of reactions or hypersensitivity to inhaled anticholinergic or beta-agonist agents
- Subject suffers from any medical condition that would preclude the use of inhaled anticholinergic agents
- Subject has been hospitalized for COPD or pneumonia within 12 weeks.
- Subject requires long-term oxygen therapy (>15 hours a day)
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: 40 Years
Maximum Age: N/A
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: No
- Lead Sponsor
- Theravance Biopharma
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Overall Official(s)
- Medical Monitor, Study Director, Theravance Biopharma, US, Inc.
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.