Currently, appropriate patients undergo MRI imaging with immobilization and sequences optimized for diagnostic radiology purposes. Using a mutual information algorithm, these images are then registered to a treatment planning CT obtained with custom immobilization to minimize intra-and inter-treatment motion and positional variation. This image registration process is time-consuming and introduces additional layers of geometric uncertainty into what should be a highly precise treatment planning process. However, it is necessary, since radiation dose calculations cannot be performed on MRI data due to the lack of crucial density information. The investigator envisions CT-less treatment planning, using only MRI, due to superior imaging characteristics, fully integrated into the radiation oncology clinic. This study will begin this process.
- Study Type: Observational
- Study Design
- Time Perspective: Cross-Sectional
- Study Primary Completion Date: October 2020
- Procedure: MRI Group
- A single research MRI
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- MRI group
- Patient receives one research MRI prior to radiation treatment.
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- Percentage of participants with MRI images suitable for analyses
- Time Frame: Day One
- Patients will be off protocol immediately after the single MRI scan. Comparative treatment planning will occur off-line and will not be used for patient care.
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- Patients ≥18 years of age
- A working diagnosis of malignancy in the liver, brain, H&N, or pelvis
- A plan to treat with radiotherapy
- Patients with contraindications to having a contrast enhanced MRI scan. These contraindications will be assessed at the time of enrollment using the guidelines set up and in clinical use by the Radiology Department.
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: 18 Years
Maximum Age: N/A
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: No
- Lead Sponsor
- University of Michigan Rogel Cancer Center
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Overall Official(s)
- Shruti Jolly, MD, Principal Investigator, University of Michigan
- Overall Contact(s)
- Shruti Jolly, MD, 734-936-4300, firstname.lastname@example.org
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.