Sixty patients will be randomized into three groups to receive the Kinesio taping, placebo Kinesio taping (medical adhesive tape) and control group. The group Kinesio taping receive the correct application of the method described. The placebo group will receive a medical adhesive tape. The control group will not receive any form of intervention.
Full Title of Study: “Is Kinesio Taping More Effective Than Medical Adhesive Tape in Patients With Chronic Non-specific Low Back Pain? A Randomized Controlled Trial”
- Study Type: Interventional
- Study Design
- Allocation: Randomized
- Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
- Primary Purpose: Treatment
- Masking: Single (Investigator)
- Study Primary Completion Date: August 2013
The group Kinesio taping receive the correct application of the method described with tension paper off (10-15%). The placebo group will receive a medical adhesive tape. The control group will not receive any form of intervention.
- Other: Kinesio Taping
- Kinesio taping intervention is based upon the use of specific elastic tapes (known as Kinesio Tex Gold) that are applied with a certain amount of tension fixed to the skin of patients with the target muscles in a stretched position. The tapes will be placed over the lumbar spine.
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- Experimental: Kinesio Taping
- Patients will receive an application of Kinesio taping in their lumbar spine.
- Placebo Comparator: Kinesio Taping Placebo
- Patients will receive an application of medical adhesive tape in their lumbar spine.
- No Intervention: Control
- This participants will not receive intervention
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- Pain Intensity
- Time Frame: 2 days
- Pain Intensity will be measured in 2 and 7 days after randomization by an 11-point (0-10) Numerical Rating Scale (Pain NRS)
- Time Frame: 2 days
- Disability associated with low back pain will be measured in 2 and 7 days after randomization by the 24-item Roland Morris Disability Questionnaire
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- Patients with non-specific low back pain longer than 3 months
- Seeking care for low back pain
- Contra indications to any bandage
- Serious sinal pathologies (e.g. tumors, fractures and inflammatory diseases)
- Nerve roto compromise
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: 18 Years
Maximum Age: 80 Years
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: No
- Lead Sponsor
- Paulista University
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Principal Investigator: Mauricio Antonio da Luz Junior, Kinesio Taping is More Effective Than Medical Adhesive Tape in Patients With Chronic Non-specific Low Back Pain? A Randomized Controlled Trial – Paulista University
- Overall Official(s)
- Mauricio Antonio da Luz Junior, MSc, Principal Investigator, Paulista University
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.