To investigate pathomorphological and functional variations of choroidal neovascularization (CNV) in age-related macular degeneration (AMD) in a Chinese population using optical coherence tomography (OCT) to find which kinds of Fundus characteristics indicated exudative AMD.
Full Title of Study: “A Population-based Study of Macular Choroidal Neovascularization Using Optical Coherence Tomography in a Chinese Population”
- Study Type: Observational
- Study Design
- Time Perspective: Prospective
- Study Primary Completion Date: September 2008
This population-based study enrolled 59 patients (>45 years old; 70 eyes) with early and intermediate-stage AMD from Youyi Street, Baoshan District, Shanghai, China. Comprehensive standardized ophthalmic examinations included visual acuity, anterior segment analysis by slit lamp, dilated fundus evaluation by direct ophthalmoscopy, 90D handheld lens, fundus photography, fluorescein angiography (FFA), and fast optic disk scans using OCT. The macular CNV characteristic profiles in early and intermediate-stage AMD were determined by OCT. Data were obtained at first visit and 6 to 24 months follow-up, and FFA and OCT outcomes of early and intermediate-stage AMD patients were analyzed.
- Other: Follow-up observation
- a epidemiologic survey of ocular diseases in an adult population (>45 years old) in Youyi Street, Baoshan District, Shanghai, China, conducted to determine the prevalence of AMD in the region. To this end, we utilized routine ocular examinations
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- early and intermediate-stage AMD
- Follow-up observation was implemented in whose fundus examination show lesions in the early and intermediate-stage AMD
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- change of the early and intermediate-stage AMD
- Time Frame: May 2004-September 2008
- Drusen with unclear boundaries and obvious pigment proliferation, with hypofluorescence around drusens seen on FFA and a slight small arch field located in the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE)/choriocapillary layer (CCL) on OCT indicated exudative AMD.
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- adults citizens aged above 45 years
- lost samples
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: 45 Years
Maximum Age: N/A
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: Accepts Healthy Volunteers
- Lead Sponsor
- Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Principal Investigator: Jun Hu, Department of ophthalmology, Shuguang hospital(Baoshan branch),Shanghai University of TCM – Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Overall Official(s)
- zhao jie, master, Principal Investigator, Director of ophthalmology
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.