The purpose of the international plastic bronchitis registry is to understand the natural course and long term health outcomes of subjects diagnosed with plastic bronchitis due to different types of casts. This provides essential data for identifying best practices and treatments. The secondary aim is to understand the structure of casts and mechanism of their formation.
- Study Type: Observational
- Study Design
- Time Perspective: Prospective
- Study Primary Completion Date: November 1, 2018
Plastic bronchitis (PB) patients have casts removed during bronchoscopy as part of their routine care or that they are able to expectorate (cough out) casts naturally. The casts are normally discarded. Patients that agree to participate in the registry ship the airway casts and medical history to Dr. Bruce Rubin's Research Laboratory at Virginia Commonwealth University Richmond Virginia, USA.
The lab evaluates the biopolymer composition and structure of the airway casts by immunohistochemistry in order to identify microscopic differences between expectorated casts of subjects with plastic bronchitis and sputum from other populations (cystic fibrosis,chronic obstructive pulmonary disease , and normal airways). The lab also conducts in vitro evaluation of clearability, adhesivity, cohesivity, and inflammatory mediator concentrations to better understand the nature of the disease.
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- Patients with Plastic bronchitis
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- natural course and long term health outcomes
- Time Frame: ongoing
- The purpose of the intrnational plastic bronchitis registry is to understand the natural course and long term health outcomes of patients diagnosed with plastic bronchitis. This provides essential data for identifying possible causes of this disease and potential treatments.
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- Diagnosed with Plastic bronchitis
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: N/A
Maximum Age: N/A
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: No
- Lead Sponsor
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Overall Official(s)
- Bruce K Rubin, MEngr, MD, MBA, FRCPC, Principal Investigator, Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.