Erythromycin has a prokinetic effect through Motilin receptor. It evokes migrating motor complex with longer and stronger contraction.
In patients with upper gastrointestinal bleeding, It has been shown that erythromycin could clear the stomach of blood, so visual examination could be improved.
Frequent food stasis is encounted when we examine patients with subtotal gastrectomy. It is postulated that erythromycin reduce food stasis and help to improve endoscopy in these cases.
Full Title of Study: “Effect of Erythromycin Before Endoscopy of Patients With Subtotal Gastrectomy (STG), High Risk of Gastric Stasis : Randomized and Prospective Study”
- Study Type: Interventional
- Study Design
- Allocation: Randomized
- Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
- Primary Purpose: Prevention
- Masking: Double (Participant, Investigator)
- Study Primary Completion Date: October 2012
- Drug: Erythromycin
- 125mg in normal saline single use infusion for 5 min.
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- Experimental: erythromycin
- No Intervention: saline
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- degree of food stasis
- Time Frame: when endoscopy is performed.
- ref> Gastric Cancer (2002) 5: 83-89
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- Patients who undergone STG (billroth I, billroth II, R-Y STG) within 5 years to treat gastric cancer
- Stage of T1-2N0M0
- concomitant therapy with astemizole, cisapride, dihydroergotamine, ergotamine, pimozide, or terfenadine, narcotics, alpha-2-adrenergic agonist, TCA, CCB, dopamine agonist, muscarinic cholinergic antagonists, octreotide, exenatide and GLP-1 agonist, phenothiazines
- chemotherapy Hx.
- hypersensitivity to erythromycin or any component of the product
- pregnancy or lactation
- comobidity : DM, AIDS, neurologic disease(parkinsonism, multiple sclerosis, brainstem stroke or tumor, diabetic or amyloid neuropathy, or primary dysautonomias) scleroderma and other connective tissue disease, recent viral enteritis history
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: N/A
Maximum Age: N/A
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: No
- Lead Sponsor
- The Catholic University of Korea
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Principal Investigator: Myung-gui Choi, Professor – The Catholic University of Korea
- Overall Official(s)
- Myung-Gyu Choi, M.D., Principal Investigator, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea, Seoul, Republic of Korea
Sarna SK, Soergel KH, Koch TR, Stone JE, Wood CM, Ryan RP, Arndorfer RC, Cavanaugh JH, Nellans HN, Lee MB. Gastrointestinal motor effects of erythromycin in humans. Gastroenterology. 1991 Dec;101(6):1488-96.
Annese V, Janssens J, Vantrappen G, Tack J, Peeters TL, Willemse P, Van Cutsem E. Erythromycin accelerates gastric emptying by inducing antral contractions and improved gastroduodenal coordination. Gastroenterology. 1992 Mar;102(3):823-8.
Bruley des Varannes S, Parys V, Ropert A, Chayvialle JA, Rozé C, Galmiche JP. Erythromycin enhances fasting and postprandial proximal gastric tone in humans. Gastroenterology. 1995 Jul;109(1):32-9.
Ramirez B, Eaker EY, Drane WE, Hocking MP, Sninsky CA. Erythromycin enhances gastric emptying in patients with gastroparesis after vagotomy and antrectomy. Dig Dis Sci. 1994 Nov;39(11):2295-300.
Kendall BJ, Chakravarti A, Kendall E, Soykan I, McCallum RW. The effect of intravenous erythromycin on solid meal gastric emptying in patients with chronic symptomatic post-vagotomy-antrectomy gastroparesis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 1997 Apr;11(2):381-5.
Frossard JL, Spahr L, Queneau PE, Giostra E, Burckhardt B, Ory G, De Saussure P, Armenian B, De Peyer R, Hadengue A. Erythromycin intravenous bolus infusion in acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding: a randomized, controlled, double-blind trial. Gastroenterology. 2002 Jul;123(1):17-23. Erratum in: Gastroenterology 2002 Dec;123(6):2162.
Altraif I, Handoo FA, Aljumah A, Alalwan A, Dafalla M, Saeed AM, Alkhormi A, Albekairy AK, Tamim H. Effect of erythromycin before endoscopy in patients presenting with variceal bleeding: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Gastrointest Endosc. 2011 Feb;73(2):245-50. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2010.09.043. Epub 2010 Dec 8.
Kubo M, Sasako M, Gotoda T, Ono H, Fujishiro M, Saito D, Sano T, Katai H. Endoscopic evaluation of the remnant stomach after gastrectomy: proposal for a new classification. Gastric Cancer. 2002;5(2):83-9.
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.