This is a multicenter, open-label extension study of safety and tolerability of lampalizumab administered by intravitreal (ITV) injection to participants with geographic atrophy (GA) who have completed the 18-month treatment in Study CFD4870g (GX01456) (NCT01229215) or 24-week treatment in Study GX29455 (NCT02288559).
Full Title of Study: “A Multicenter, Open-Label Extension Study to Evaluate the Long-Term Safety and Tolerability of Lampalizumab (FCFD4514S) in Patients With Geographic Atrophy Who Have Completed Genentech-Sponsored Lampalizumab Studies”
- Study Type: Interventional
- Study Design
- Allocation: Non-Randomized
- Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
- Primary Purpose: Treatment
- Masking: None (Open Label)
- Study Primary Completion Date: November 8, 2017
- Drug: Lampalizumab
- Lampalizumab 10 mg ITV injections as per the schedule specified in respective arms.
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- Experimental: CFD4870g Sham
- Participants who were administered sham comparator in Study NCT01229215 (CFD4870g), will receive lampalizumab 10 milligrams (mg), intravitreally (ITV), either once in every 4 weeks (Q4W) or once in every 8 weeks (Q8W) in accordance with their previously assigned treatment frequency assignment in Study CFD4870g followed by Q4W administration for the remainder of the extension study up to approximately 96 months.
- Experimental: CFD4870g Lampalizumab
- Participants will receive lampalizumab 10 mg, ITV, Q4W or Q8W in accordance with their previously assigned treatment frequency assignment in Study NCT01229215 (CFD4870g) followed by Q4W administration for the remainder of the extension study up to approximately 96 months.
- Experimental: GX29455 Sham
- Participants who were administered sham comparator in Study NCT02288559 (GX29455), will receive lampalizumab 10 mg, ITV, Q4W throughout the extension study up to approximately 54 months.
- Experimental: GX29455 Lampalizumab
- Participants who were administered lampalizumab in Study NCT02288559 (GX29455), will receive lampalizumab 10 mg, ITV, Q4W throughout the extension study up to approximately 54 months.
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- Percentage of Participants With Ocular and Non-ocular Adverse Events (AEs)
- Time Frame: From Day 1 up to the last study visit (up to approximately 62 months)
- An AE was defined as any unfavorable and unintended sign, symptom, or disease temporally associated with the use of a medicinal product, whether considered related to the medicinal product, any new disease or exacerbation of an existing disease, recurrence of an intermittent medical condition, or any deterioration in a laboratory value or other clinical test. Ocular AEs are events localized to the eye. Non-ocular events include all other events.
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- For CFD4870g participants: Previous enrollment and completion (Month 18 visit) of Study CFD4870g without early treatment discontinuation (lampalizumab or sham)
- For GX29455 participants: Previous enrollment and completion (Week 24 visit) of Study GX29455 without early treatment discontinuation (lampalizumab or sham)
- Sufficiently clear ocular media, adequate pupillary dilation, and fixation to permit quality fundus imaging
- Early treatment and/or study discontinuation prior to completion of study CFD4870g (GX01456) and GX29455
- Vitrectomy surgery, submacular surgery, or other surgical intervention for age-related macular degeneration (AMD) in the study eye
- Subfoveal focal laser photocoagulation in the study eye
- Treatment with Visodyne, external-beam radiation therapy, or transpupillary thermotherapy in the study eye
- Intravitreally (ITV) drug delivery (e.g., ITV corticosteroid injection, anti-angiogenic drugs, anticomplement drugs, or device implantation) in the study eye. Lampalizumab in study eye and ranibizumab in either eye are permitted
- Any concurrent ocular or intraocular condition in the study eye that contraindicates the use of an investigational drug or may affect interpretation of the study results or may render the participant at high risk for treatment complications
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: 60 Years
Maximum Age: 89 Years
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: No
- Lead Sponsor
- Genentech, Inc.
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Overall Official(s)
- Clinical Trials, Study Director, Genentech, Inc.
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.