Cardiovascular disease continues to be the principal cause of death in the world. At present, the risk factors for cardiovascular disease continue to appear at an earlier age permitting prevention activities and the promotion of healthy habits to focus on children. Numerous studies have shown that these factors can be controlled in children through school-based interventions. At the same time, data shows that there is a persistence of unhealthy lifestyles (ie sedentary lifestyles, the use of tobacco, etc…) that begin in childhood and are perpetuated until adulthood. Therefore, the acquisition of healthy lifestyles should begin as early as possible. The SI Program for Preschool Education is an intervention that is both school and home based designed to improve the habits, knowledge and attitudes in four key areas: Food (diet), Physical Activity, Knowledge of the Body and Managing Emotions. This intervention will be implemented in children from three to five years of age, in their parents and in their teachers. To evaluate the efficacy of this intervention, the principal aim of the phase of evaluations is to quantify the behavior changes in the three groups/populations mentioned. The evaluation has been designed according to the controlled intervention model, in which twenty-four schools from the Community of Madrid will be randomized to implement the Program si! for Preschool Education or to function as control schools.
- Study Type: Interventional
- Study Design
- Allocation: Randomized
- Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
- Primary Purpose: Prevention
- Masking: None (Open Label)
- Study Primary Completion Date: June 2012
- Behavioral: Program SI! educational intervention
- School-based educational program to improve the knowledge, the attitudes, and the habits of children, their parents and teachers, with respect to a healthy lifestyle behavior.
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- Experimental: Program SI! educational intervention
- No Intervention: Control
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- 1-year, and 3-year changes from baseline in questionaires scores for knowledge, attitudes, and habits of children, parents and teachers in regards to a healthy lifestyle.
- Time Frame: 3 years
- 1-year, and 3-year changes from baseline in body composition, and blood pressure of children.
- Time Frame: 3 years
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- The schools must be located within the municipality of Madrid
- The schools must be public
- The schools must have, at the least, two classes for Preschool Education, for children 3, 4 and 5 years of age
- The schools must make available the use of the cafeteria.
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: 3 Years
Maximum Age: 5 Years
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: Accepts Healthy Volunteers
- Lead Sponsor
- Fundación Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares Carlos III
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Overall Official(s)
- Rodrigo Fernandez-Jimenez, MD PhD, Principal Investigator, Fundacion Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares
- Valentin Fuster, MD, PhD, Study Chair, Fundacion Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Cardiovasculares
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.