This is a study of the safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics (measurement of drug levels in the blood), and intraocular pressure lowering effects of OPA-6566 ophthalmic solution in subjects with primary open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension.
Full Title of Study: “An Investigator-Masked, Dose-Escalation Study to Determine the Safety, Tolerability, Pharmacokinetics, and Efficacy of OPA-6566 Ophthalmic Solution in Subjects With Primary Open-Angle Glaucoma or Ocular Hypertension”
- Study Type: Interventional
- Study Design
- Allocation: Randomized
- Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
- Primary Purpose: Treatment
- Masking: Single (Investigator)
- Study Primary Completion Date: October 2012
- Drug: OPA-6566
- OPA-6566, 2 dosing schedules (one drop once per day for 2 weeks and twice per day for 2 weeks)
- Drug: Placebo
- Placebo, 2 dosing schedules (one drop once per day for 2 weeks and twice per day for 2 weeks)
- Drug: Latanoprost
- Latanoprost (one drop once per day for 4 weeks)
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- Experimental: OPA-6566 low dose
- Treatment with OPA-6566 low dose
- Experimental: OPA-6566 medium dose
- Treatment with OPA-6566 medium dose
- Experimental: OPA-6566 high dose
- Treatment with OPA-6566 high dose
- Active Comparator: Latanoprost
- Treatment with Latanoprost
- Placebo Comparator: Placebo
- Experimental: OPA-6566 additional dose
- Treatment with OPA-6566 additional dose
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- Safety: incidence of treatment emergent adverse events (TEAEs), vital signs, physical exam, ocular exams, electrocardiogram, ocular symptoms, laboratory tests on whole blood, serum and urine.
- Time Frame: 28 days of treatment: visit 1 (screening), visit 2 (eligibility), visit 3 (randomization) visit 4 (Day 14), visit 5 (Day 28)
- Composite of Pharmacokinetics
- Time Frame: 28 days: visit 3 (randomization); visit 4 (Day 14) ; visit 5 (Day 28)
- Efficacy: measurement of change in intraocular pressure from baseline.
- Time Frame: 28 days: visit 1 (screening); visit 2 (eligibility) ; visit 3 (randomization) , visit 4 (Day 14) ; visit 5 (Day 28)
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- diagnosis of bilateral primary open-angle glaucoma
- diagnosis of ocular hypertension as defined in the protocol
- any form of glaucoma other than primary open-angle glaucoma in either eye
- other ocular conditions as defined by the protocol
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: 18 Years
Maximum Age: 75 Years
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: No
- Lead Sponsor
- Kubota Vision Inc.
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Overall Official(s)
- John W Chandler, MD, Study Director, Kubota Vision Inc.
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.