This is the long-term extension of a phase III, efficacy and safety open-label (protocol PGL09-026) with PGL4001 10mg tablets once daily for three months, blinded towards the administration of progestin or placebo tablets after end of PGL4001 treatment. This extension study consists of three periods of 3 months open-label PGL4001 treatment, each followed by ten days of double-blind treatment with progestin or placebo and then a period without treatment.
Full Title of Study: “A Phase III, Multicentre, Clinical Study Investigating the Efficacy and Safety of Three Successive Periods of 3-month Open-label PGL4001 Treatment, Each Followed by Ten Days of Double-blind Treatment With Progestin or Placebo and a Drug-free Period Until Return of Menses, in Subjects With Myomas and Heavy Uterine Bleeding”
- Study Type: Interventional
- Study Design
- Allocation: Randomized
- Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
- Primary Purpose: Treatment
- Masking: Double (Participant, Investigator)
- Study Primary Completion Date: August 2013
- Drug: PGL4001, placebo, drug free period
- PGL4001 10mg once daily (oral tablets) for 3 months followed by a period of 10 days of placebo (oral tablets) during 3 periods each ending with a drug free period until return of menses.
- Drug: PGL4001, progestin, drug free period
- PGL4001 10mg once daily (oral tablets) for 3 months followed by a period of 10 days of progestin Norethisterone acetate 10mg once daily (oral tablets) during 3 periods each ending with a drug free period until return of menses.
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- Experimental: A
- PGL4001 10mg (oral tablets) for 3 months followed by a period of 10 days of placebo (oral tablets) during 3 periods each ended by a drug free period until return of menses.
- Experimental: B
- PGL4001 10mg (oral tablets) for 3 months followed by a period of 10 days of progestin (oral tablets) during 3 periods each ended by a drug free period until return of menses.
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- percentage of subjects in amennorrhoea at the end of each PGL4001 treatment course received
- Time Frame: From baseline to end of each PGL4001 treatment (3months treatment)
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- Subject completed visit 6 of PGL09-026 study, 10 to 18 days after menstruation following end of treatment with PGL4001, and did not take medications forbidden by the protocol. Exclusion Criteria:
- Subject has a large uterine polyp (> 2cm). – Subject has one or more ovarian cysts ≥ 4cm diagnosed by ultrasound during PGL09-026 study. – Subject has abnormal hepatic function at re-test. – Subject has clinically significant abnormal findings at visit A or any other medical condition(s) or laboratory findings that, in the opinion of the investigator, might jeopardize the subject's safety or interfere with study evaluations. – Subject has a positive pregnancy test or is planning a pregnancy during the course of the study.
Gender Eligibility: Female
Minimum Age: 18 Years
Maximum Age: 48 Years
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: No
- Lead Sponsor
- PregLem SA
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.