The purpose of this study is to establish if cells present in lung tissue during extrinsic allergic alveolitis (EAA) are able to elicit an immune response against specific antigens. The hypothesis is: cells in BAL lavage fluid from patients with EAA will be responsive to specific antigens and this response can be measured using ELISPOT.
Full Title of Study: “Study to Determine the Immune Response From Broncho-alveolar Cells Against Pigeon Specific Antigens”
- Study Type: Observational
- Study Design
- Time Perspective: Prospective
- Study Primary Completion Date: September 2012
Subjects suffering from extrinsic allergic alveolitis caused by pigeons will undergo a broncho alveolar lavage. Cells obtained from this BAL will be used for ELISPOT technique with pigeon specific antigens
Arms, Groups and Cohorts
- non-EAA, pigeon
- subject with BAL because of diseases not suspected to be EAA
- EAA, pigeon
- Bird fanciers with a typical clinical presentation suspected for pigeon induced EAA
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- ELISPOT response in cells obtained from broncho-alveolar lavage
- Time Frame: 2 days
- All elispots will be performed the same day, the end point will be available the next day
- Elispot response in cells from blood
- Time Frame: 2 days
- ELispots will be performed the same day as blood collection, results will be available the next day
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- suspicion of pigeon induced extrinsic alveolitis
- use of oral steroids
- unable to give informed consent
- age below 18
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: 18 Years
Maximum Age: N/A
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: No
- Lead Sponsor
- Bossink, A.W.J.
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Principal Investigator: A.W.J.Bossink, Dr – Bossink, A.W.J.
- Overall Official(s)
- Aik Bossink, MD PhD, Principal Investigator, Diakonessenhuis, Utrecht
Jafari C, Thijsen S, Sotgiu G, Goletti D, Domínguez Benítez JA, Losi M, Eberhardt R, Kirsten D, Kalsdorf B, Bossink A, Latorre I, Migliori GB, Strassburg A, Winteroll S, Greinert U, Richeldi L, Ernst M, Lange C; Tuberculosis Network European Trialsgroup. Bronchoalveolar lavage enzyme-linked immunospot for a rapid diagnosis of tuberculosis: a Tuberculosis Network European Trialsgroup study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009 Oct 1;180(7):666-73. doi: 10.1164/rccm.200904-0557OC. Epub 2009 Jul 9.
Losi M, Bossink A, Codecasa L, Jafari C, Ernst M, Thijsen S, Cirillo D, Ferrarese M, Greinert U, Fabbri LM, Richeldi L, Lange C; European Tuberculosis Network TBNET. Use of a T-cell interferon-gamma release assay for the diagnosis of tuberculous pleurisy. Eur Respir J. 2007 Dec;30(6):1173-9. Epub 2007 Aug 22.
Kösters K, Nau R, Bossink A, Greiffendorf I, Jentsch M, Ernst M, Thijsen S, Hinks T, Lalvani A, Lange C. Rapid diagnosis of CNS tuberculosis by a T-cell interferon-gamma release assay on cerebrospinal fluid mononuclear cells. Infection. 2008 Dec;36(6):597-600. doi: 10.1007/s15010-007-7316-0. Epub 2008 Jan 12.
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.