This observational survey with prospective and/or retrospective follow-up is designed to study practices for the initial treatment of hypothyroidism in France without modifying subject treatment.
Full Title of Study: “Survey for the Initial Treatment of Hypothyroidism in France”
- Study Type: Observational
- Study Design
- Time Perspective: Prospective
- Study Primary Completion Date: May 2009
Thyroid disorder can be central, caused by a deficiency in thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) production; or peripheral, caused by the decrease in the plasma concentration of thyroid hormones, more specifically of free thyroxine (free T4). Peripheral hypothyroidism is caused by the decrease in the production capacities of the thyroid gland.
The treatment of hypothyroidism is based on the restoration and maintenance of biological (judged on the basis of the standardised TSH and T4 values) and clinical euthyroidism.
A number of forms of thyroid hormones are available in the French market (Euthyral®, Cynomel®, L-thyroxine drops®), of which, Levothyrox® is the most frequently prescribed drug in this category.
The treatment of peripheral hypothyroidism, in particular, is well codified and almost consensual. In France, there is no published observational study, based on which one can document the manner in which subjects are treated. This observational study is set up to document these practices.
OBJECTIVES The principal objectives of this survey is to to get information on the use of Levothyrox in France
- Circumstances of diagnosis
- Record realised
- Terms and conditions of treatment by the general practitioner and/or the endocrinologist
The secondary objective is to evaluate the inclusion criteria for levothyroxine treatment.
For each subject the participating doctor will complete a follow up questionnaire form until the first control level of TSH after the diagnosis of hypothyroidism.
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- Initial questionnaire
- Time Frame: Baseline
- Documentation of indications for levothyroxine treatment
- Follow-up questionnaire
- Time Frame: 3 months
- Documentaion of inclusion criteria (socio-demographic and clinical data, treatment information and biological values) for levothyroxine treatment. Follow-up questionnaire filled-in until the result of the first TSH level after commencement of therapy with thyroid hormones.
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- Recently diagnosed hypothyroid subject (either during the inclusion period, or within the 6 previous months) for whom, data related to the diagnosis is available if the diagnosis was not carried out initially by the investigating doctor
- Subject, who has given his/her oral consent for participation
- Subject included in clinical trial or having participated in a clinical trial during the last 3 months
- Subject presenting a major and objectifiable risk of not being able to follow-up until the next TSH level (moving, problems encountered during another study, pathology affecting the vital prognosis in the short-term)
- All contraindications to Lévothyrox
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: 35 Years
Maximum Age: 60 Years
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: No
- Lead Sponsor
- Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Dr. Frederic Landron, Laboratoires Merck Lipha Santé, an affiliate of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
- Overall Official(s)
- Dr. Frederic Landron, MD, Study Director, Laboratoires Merck Lipha Santé
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.