A clinical study to collect additional data in order to characterize the reduction in PSA with finasteride 1 mg, and its reversibility in men with androgenetic alopecia between the ages of 40 to 60 years.
Full Title of Study: “A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Multicenter Study To Examine the Effects of Finasteride 1 MG on Serum Prostate-Specific Antigen in Men With Androgenetic Alopecia”
- Study Type: Interventional
- Study Design
- Allocation: Randomized
- Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
- Primary Purpose: Treatment
- Masking: Double (Participant, Investigator)
- Study Primary Completion Date: January 2000
- Drug: MK0906, finasteride / Duration of Treatment : 48 Weeks
- Drug: Comparator : placebo (unspecified) / Duration of Treatment : 48 Weeks
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- Serum Prostatic Specific Antigen (PSA) after 48 weeks of treatment
- Reversibility of effects on Serum Prostatic Specific Antigen (PSA) after 24 weeks off drug
Participating in This Clinical Trial
Inclusion Criteria :
- Men 40 to 60 years of age, and in good general physical and mental health, with androgenetic alopecia Exclusion Criteria : – History of previous bladder surgery, acute urinary retention, urethral strictures, repeated urethral catheterizations, repeated urinary tract infections, or active urinary tract infections – History of treatment with finasteride (PROSCAR or PROPECIA) or hypersensitivity to any component of finasteride.
Gender Eligibility: Male
Minimum Age: 40 Years
Maximum Age: 60 Years
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: No
- Lead Sponsor
- Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp.
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Overall Official(s)
- Medical Monitor, Study Director, Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp.
Citations Reporting on Results
D'Amico AV, Roehrborn CG. Effect of 1 mg/day finasteride on concentrations of serum prostate-specific antigen in men with androgenic alopecia: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol. 2007 Jan;8(1):21-5.
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.