This study is being conducted to compare the efficacy and safety of LAMICTAL (lamotrigine) extended-release with placebo in the treatment of partial seizures. LAMICTAL extended-release is an investigational drug. Placebo tablets look like LAMICTAL extended-release tablets but do not contain active medication. In this study, LAMICTAL extended-release or placebo tablets will be added to current seizure treatments.
Full Title of Study: “A Multicenter, Double-Blind, Randomized, Parallel-group Evaluation of LAMICTAL Extended-release Adjunctive Therapy in Subjects With Partial Seizures”
- Study Type: Interventional
- Study Design
- Allocation: Randomized
- Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
- Primary Purpose: Treatment
- Masking: Double
- Study Primary Completion Date: July 2007
- Drug: LAMICTAL extended-release
Clinical Trial Outcome Measures
- The efficacy of LAMICTAL extended-release therapy will be measured by the percentage change from Baseline in partial seizure frequency during the double-blind treatment phase.
- Time Frame: 24 Weeks
- Reduction in partial seizure frequency during portions of double-blind phase (=25%,=50%,=75%,100%). Time to 50% reduction in partial seizure frequency. Adverse events. Weight change. Health outcomes questionnaires. Population Pharmacokinetics
- Time Frame: 24 Weeks
Participating in This Clinical Trial
- Diagnosis of epilepsy with partial seizures for more than 24 weeks. – Must experience at least 8 partial seizures during an 8-week Baseline Phase. – Must currently be receiving treatment with a stable regimen of one or two antiepileptic drugs for at least four weeks. – Patient or parent/caregiver must be willing and able to maintain a written daily seizure diary. Exclusion criteria:
- Previous treatment with lamotrigine. – Exhibits any primary generalized seizures. – Receiving treatment with felbamate or currently following the ketogenic diet. – Pregnant, breastfeeding, or planning to become pregnant.
Gender Eligibility: All
Minimum Age: 13 Years
Maximum Age: N/A
Are Healthy Volunteers Accepted: No
- Lead Sponsor
- Provider of Information About this Clinical Study
- Overall Official(s)
- GSK Clinical Trials, Study Director, GlaxoSmithKline
Naritoku DK, Warnock CR, Messenheimer JA, Borgohain R, Evers S, Guekht AB, Karlov VA, Lee BI, Pohl LR. Lamotrigine extended-release as adjunctive therapy for partial seizures. Neurology. 2007 Oct 16;69(16):1610-8. Erratum in: Neurology. 2009 Jan 13;72(2):201.
Erratum: Lamotrigine extended-release as adjunctive therapy for partial seizures. Neurology 2009;72;201
Clinical trials entries are delivered from the US National Institutes of Health and are not reviewed separately by this site. Please see the identifier information above for retrieving further details from the government database.